Saturday, March 7, 2020

Beef Roulade

One day I ended up with a small beef tenderloin and was looking to do something creative.  I had recently eaten at a German restaurant and enjoyed the Rouladen, so I decided to give it a shot on my own.  After looking through various recipes online, I came up with this recipe based on the ingredients I liked the most and here is my take on the dish.

1 beef tenderloin
Ground pepper

Ground mustard
Minced garlic
Shallot (diced fine)
Parmesan cheese
Pickles (cut in to small pieces)
6 to 8 pieces of cooked bacon (or more, you know you'll eat what you don't use)
Olive oil

Pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees.

Use a carving knife to "unroll" the tenderloin in to a large flat piece about 3/4 inch thick.  Place string across the cutting board 1.5 inches apart.

Place meat on top so the direction of the roll lines up with the strings.  Cover the meat with pepper, mustard, garlic, shallot, cheese, pickles, and top with slices of bacon.

Start from one side of the meat and roll everything to the other side.  Bring the ends of the strings together and tie to hold the roll in place.

Coat the roulade with olive oil and put on a pan.  Cook for 10 minutes.  Cut between strings and serve.






No comments:

Post a Comment